View photo album

Walter's Cove Lodge, Kyuquot

August 22, 2008

Kyuquot, British Columbia 08-22-08 06:00 AM ( about 16 hours )

Flew over to Walter's Cove from Port Hardy on a 1943 Grumman Goose in some really sloppy weather! Bumpy, Bumpy, Bumpy!
After getting settled in at the lodge we headed out about 4 miles and started fishing and within a couple minutes "Fish On". My boat partner lands a nice 18lb king. Lines back down and fish on again and this time we double up, I land a 25lb king and Robert (boat partner) lands a near 20lb coho that we release. (Huge, wild fish) We double up a couple more times on wild coho and finish our limit within an hour with another 17lb king and a 15lb king. We were the only boat to have that success as the conditions were quite rough and many boats stayed inside near Spring Island. Woke up the next morning to massive rain and wind blowing about 30-40 mph sustained! Started to head back to the same spot and after about an hour of getting hammered we take a wave over the bow and we are standing in 6-8" of water and the scuppers are not keeping up, the guide promptly turns the boat around and after about 5 minutes of moving with the swells the boat is finally dry again. Scary moment and made me think of the stories I heard on the halibut opener off the Washington coast. We fished the inside the entire day as the wind/rain never quit. My float coat actually soaked through! We managed to CNR a couple small wild cohos and that was it. Final morning we headed out again and conditions improved only slightly, stopped at the 4 mile mark and fished for about 30 minutes with nothing on the sonar, so we picked up and headed out to the 12 mile mark, only 2 boats went out of 11 as the water was quite big & nasty. We fished for about an hour and only caught the 9lb hatchery coho and had couple other takedowns that came unbuttoned right away. It was time to head home and most of the group flew out on helicopters due to the weather. (they are safer in bad conditions) I drew a short straw and got to fly on the goose again and returned to Port Hardy via Quatsino Sound. All in All a good trip with mediocre fishing due to the weather. Our guide ("Evans") was great and worked very hard to get us on fish. The lodge is very nice and the food was excellent. Sorry no fish pics this trip, but here is the lodge with the boats we were in and a couple shots of the Grumman Goose. All our fish were caught using anchovies stuffed in helmet with about 6 feet of leader behind an 11 inch flasher.


1 Kept Chinook salmon 25lb
1 Kept Chinook salmon 15lb
1 Kept Hatchery Coho salmon 9lb


earlybird wrote: (about 12 years ago)
Dang, you get around! Too bad the weather didn't cooperate!


Posted by Stumpy

Locations 1
Fish Caught 3
Comments 1
Page Views 3555
Thumbs Up 0

Who can see this trip?

  • Everyone