Reply to topic

what happens when im bored...

4 post(s), 3 voice(s)
bushmanj85
Small
Post(s):315

So call me crazy, but I was listening to a podcast this morning on selective gene editing and CRISPR. It was incredibly fascinating information, and basically within 10 years we will be able to create a living human with any kind of skin color we want…..(anyone want avatar looking kids?)

What really intrigued me is that they said that right now, female humans typically make 15 eggs per cycle, while men have around 1 billion sperm cells every time a couple tries to conceive. However, with CRISPR, you will not have the ability to create a female human being that could have hundreds of thousands of eggs like a female salmon, but you could selectively find the best eggs, sting them together, and create the best possible human being that would be free of any cancers, diseases, and have highest IQ, ect. Apparently the cost to do this to one person 10 years ago was 1 billion dollars, and today its $800, and within the next 10 years, it will literally be pennies.

Soooo… because they used the salmon reference in the pod cast, my brain started wandering and i asked myself, why not actually do this to our salmon? Our Orcas need food, we cant fish because there is not enough fish to be caught, and our spawing grounds for our salmon need to be better protected….. so what if we could use CRISPR to literally breed millions of 60+ pound king salmon, make them resistant to bacteria in the ocean, and make them stronger to be able to breed in not so forgiving river conditions. We could have super salmon!

Now some people may think would be a genetically modified fish like the Atlantic salmon, but from what this podcast was saying, its really only taking the best of the natural genes, and re-engineering it to have the best possible outcome of survival. So yes its kind of GMO, but its also kind of natural haha. It can also make Atlantic salmon sterile. So if there is another net pen that breaks, at least the fish wont be able to breed with our fish.

again, this is what happens when im bored at work. But I think it would be a cheap alternative to the politics of not fishing, and creating super fish. Its already worked on talapia and zebra fish. All we need is some crazy scientist to breed us a few eggs to see what happens.

would be curious to hear everyones thoughts on it.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/crispr-an...

Nick
Anon128
Post(s):111

I think that’s slightly overselling the potential of crispr – we don’t really understand how most of the genome works yet (or even if large parts of it actually do anything useful at all) so building a superfish with crispr is not on the agenda yet. There need to be massive breakthroughs in other areas first, and who knows when that will happen. Could be 5 years, could be never.

But…. we could have developed a superfish decades ago with ordinary selective breeding processes in hatcheries. It would not have been hard to select for traits that would have given us bigger chinook to catch that would be resistant to disease and warm water and which would not interfere with the spawning success of wild fish. But that didn’t happen, and here we are…

nookdawg
Small
Post(s):146

bushmanj85 I’m with ya…I get the CRISPR concept. It’s worth a look . Genetic bio-wizards have been foolin’ around eggs, sperm, dna and other assorted therorys for quite a while, and with some success, although questionable. The scientific naysayers will wail in self impose agony, that, your messing with the hand of God, and that this is just wrong…wrong I tell you. But, then there are some that think it’s not so bad.
In the future, however fish are made may not be such a big deal. Just get it done.
But right now, it seems as though we have a cluster of ignorant people relying on bad biology, or,
smart people doing dumb things. In the end, my thought is that it’s going to take people from other than WDFW, to make it work.
We need smart people, good biology, and leadership.
Back to CRISPR, let’s hope that it would not progress to another debacle like the farmed Atlantic salmon fiasco.
Just sayin’.

bushmanj85
Small
Post(s):315

agreed!, i just thought the potential benefits of it sounded pretty amazing. It was a pretty eye opening pod cast this morning, and made me wonder what we could actually do with the technology.

> bushmanj85 I’m with ya…I get the CRISPR concept. It’s worth a look . Genetic bio-wizards have been foolin’ around eggs, sperm, dna and other assorted therorys for quite a while, and with some success, although questionable. The scientific naysayers will wail in self impose agony, that, your messing with the hand of God, and that this is just wrong…wrong I tell you. But, then there are some that think it’s not so bad.

> In the future, however fish are made may not be such a big deal. Just get it done.

> But right now, it seems as though we have a cluster of ignorant people relying on bad biology, or,

> smart people doing dumb things. In the end, my thought is that it’s going to take people from other than WDFW, to make it work.

> We need smart people, good biology, and leadership.

> Back to CRISPR, let’s hope that it would not progress to another debacle like the farmed Atlantic salmon fiasco.

> Just sayin’.