Reply to topic

Kenmore to Chiliwist and back in 13 1/2 hours.

9 post(s), 5 voice(s)
Hunter Dan
Small
Post(s):2,361

“We got a long way to go, and a short time to get there. " went the theme from Smokey an the Bandit, right?
I wasn’t running Coors beer today, but kinda felt like it!. Went to set up deer camp ahead of next Saturdays opening day of modern rifle. Left Kenmore at 6am. Timed up with my dad and brother Russ leaving Lynnwood at the same time. The plan was to meet at the Squirrel Tree for breakfast just east of Stevens Pass. Tradition requires this meal. Though the ‘new’ tradition Russ announced flummoxed our waitress; The one with the grayest hair buys he says! Poor gal looked back and forth at me and dad a couple of times and gave it up as a tie. Just as Russ planned no doubt. Stupid little brothers…….
On the road, over the Columbia, twice! and up the Methow to eventually follow part of the Chiliwist Trail to our deer camp.Dad fell behind, he stopped at a buddies property at the bottom of the hill to fill his water tank in his trailer. I went ahead, and good thing to. I got a bit nervous when I a big camp of muzzle loaders camped at the old stage coach station. Saw no fresh tire tracks on the road to our camp and no one was there when I pulled in, but I hadn’t even unloaded half my tent poles when a truckload of guys pulled in behind me ! They unrolled their windows and asked me if I was setting up. Duh….. Yup, says me and my dad and brother are behind me on the road. By the end of the week we’ll have four trailers and at least two tents set up. Oh boy did all their faces cave in :-) They set up two summer type tents in the old gravel pit down the road. If they were muzzle loaders they’ll be ok. I didn’t know them, if they expect to learn the places our group has been hunting together over the last, hmmmm many decades, camped right next to us……well, lets just say we’ve seen alot of hunters come and go over those, hmmmm…many, yes Many decades. Dad and Russ stayed, but I hit the road home by 2:30, had dinner at the Heidleburger in Leavenworth just after the Seahawks lost……Stupid Seahawks grrrrrrrrr…..got rained on just a bit on the pass and pulled into my driveway at 7:30. Phew. That was alotta driving. I go back for 9 days on Friday morning.

Glenn Williams
Anon128
Post(s):40

Do not come home unless you catch a deer. Road kill counts Good luck

Glenn

whiskyrat
Small
Post(s):286

Nice set up, looks pretty posh for the week. Bag one early and then just lounge around the camp all day!

Hunter Dan
Small

> Do not come home unless you catch a deer. Road kill counts Good luck

> Glenn

Kill a deer! Catching implies the possibility of release.

Hunter Dan
Small

Glenn Williams
Anon128
Post(s):40

My choice of words was intended always gets some one shaking their head How about capture a deer

Good luck

I got my deer honey hole scouted and ready to cut up a nice black tail

Glenn

grandpa fish
Small
Post(s):289

If all fails see me in Chelan and I’ll stake one out in my backyard for you.

liltrouble
Small
Post(s):353

Ooooh Grandpa Fish! If this is going to be a “catching” opportunity for Dan, will it be a good old fashioned deer wrastlin’ event? Put out the sprinkler and make some mud, we can get Dan some Schlitz and I have a bunch of Garmin cameras that we can put around the wrastlin’ pit. This could be good youtube footage!

;)

grandpa fish
Small
Post(s):289

Should be a good show as Dan is sooo photogenic.