Reply to topic

A person with direct knowledge of the decision says quarterback

1 post(s), 1 voice(s)
zhangzk
Anon128
Post(s):82

The Jacksonville Jaguars have a new quarterback Deandre Baker Jersey , maybe even the franchise passer the team has been missing for nearly two decades. Nick Foles has agreed to sign a four-year, $88 million contract with the Jaguars.The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Monday because the deal cannot become official until free agency opens Wednesday. The person says the deal includes $50.125 million guaranteed and could be worth up to $102 million with incentives.More Jacksonville Jaguars newsJaguars will be without starting CB A.J. Bouye, WR Marqise Lee against TexansJaguars DE Yannick Ngakoue, LT Cam Robinson out against Texans SundayJaguars lose QB Nick Foles for at least 2 months in discouraging season openerJaguars acquire QB Josh Dobbs intrade with Steelers for 2020 5th-round draft pickInjuries hurt Jaguars as they fall to Chiefs 40-26 in Week 1NFL Network first reported the deal, which is the richest in franchise history.Foles replaces flawed starter Blake Bortles, who threw 103 touchdown passes in five seasons but was known more for inaccuracy and inconsistency that led to Jacksonville’s offensive instability.The 30-year-old Foles went 4-1 in the postseason and 6-2 in the regular season in place of Carson Wentz the last two years. He earned 2018 Super Bowl MVP honors, making himself the league’s premier quarterback commodity.Philadelphia opted not to use the franchise tag on Foles, allowing him to hit the open market.A third-round pick in by Philadelphia 2012, Foles started six games as a rookie and 18 more before signing with St. Louis in 2015. After one season as the Rams‘ starter, he moved to Kansas City, where he rejoined former Eagles coach Andy Reid to serve as the backup to Alex Smith. In 2016, Foles returned to Philadelphia to mentor Wentz and wound up becoming a fan favorite and a Super Bowl champion.Jacksonville’s offense mostly sputtered under Bortles, who went 24-49 as a starter. He completed 59 percent of his passes for 17 Oshane Ximines Jersey ,646 yards, with 75 interceptions. His toughness and mobility were among his best assets, but he still was sacked a whopping 195 times in 75 games. He also lost 19 fumbles.Bortles played turnover-free football in the 2017 postseason, helping the team reach the AFC championship game and showing enough growth that top executive Tom Coughlin and general manager Dave Caldwell opted to sign him to a three-year, $58 million contract in February 2018.The deal included $26.5 million guaranteed. Bortles is due a $1 million roster bonus Sunday.Jacksonville will save $4.5 million against the 2019 salary cap when it cuts Bortles later this week. That number could rise to $9.5 million if the team designates him a post-June 1 release.The worst part of the contract is the Jaguars didn’t need to do it. They already had picked up the fifth-year option in Bortles’ rookie contract and could have let him play 2018 at $19 million and wouldn’t owe him anything now.Regardless, Foles is expected to fill a much-needed void for a small-market franchise that has failed repeatedly at the all-important QB position. The Jags spent a combined $95 million on quarterbacks Byron Leftwich (2003-07), David Garrard (2002-10), Blaine Gabbert (2011-13) and Bortles (2014-18).Now, they’ve committed another $50 million to Foles in hopes that he will be the answer to the team’s most consistent problem. The Jacksonville Jaguars are counting on newcomer Carlos Hyde to help veteran Blake Bortles.The Jaguars (3-4) believe Hyde’s physical running style will pay immediate dividends, especially for their embattled quarterback.“People are brought here or drafted and developed here to play a certain type of football,” coach Doug Marrone said. “Not to say that we can’t play any other way, but that’s what we have worked on. If we can play to the identity that we want to play, then we feel that will help us become a better team and start winning some games.”Jacksonville acquired Hyde from Cleveland last week in exchange for a fifth-round draft pick and expects the Browns’ leading rusher to play a significant role against Philadelphia (3-4) in London.Bortles could be the beneficiary.More Jacksonville Jaguars newsJaguars will be without starting CB A.J. Bouye Julian Love Jersey , WR Marqise Lee against TexansJaguars DE Yannick Ngakoue, LT Cam Robinson out against Texans SundayJaguars lose QB Nick Foles for at least 2 months in discouraging season openerJaguars acquire QB Josh Dobbs intrade with Steelers for 2020 5th-round draft pickInjuries hurt Jaguars as they fall to Chiefs 40-26 in Week 1The fifth-year pro has really struggled the last three weeks, turning the ball over eight times and throwing just two touchdown passes. He fumbled twice in last week’s 20-7 loss to Houston , leading to 10 points and his benching. Cody Kessler finished the game, but was sacked four times in five drives, fumbled once and threw an interception.Marrone opened up the quarterback job following the game, but decided less than 24 hours later to stick with Bortles .The coach made it clear that he doesn’t see Bortles as the only problem. Injuries have been the main culprit, with Jacksonville down two left tackles, two tight ends, two running backs and receiver. Receivers also have dropped passes, and the offensive line has been shaky at best.The entire offense was built around Leonard Fournette, a physical runner who sets the tone and takes pressure off Bortles and the passing attack. Without him, the Jaguars have looked lost on that side of the ball.Hyde should help.“I run angry Darius Slayton Jersey , downhill, smash-mouth football,” said Hyde, who has 382 yards rushing and five touchdowns this season. “That’s been my game ever since I started playing this game, so I think I’ll fit in perfect here.”The Jaguars are counting on it.“You can never replace a guy like Fournette, but if there’s anybody who can do so, you look at a guy like him,” safety Tashaun Gipson said. “You talk about a physical, angry, downhill runner. He leaves the games and you look up and he had 85 (yards) on a day, a physical, tough 85. That’s the type of mentality that you want to bring. That’s what helps this offense thrive.“I don’t know what can happen and what spark he may bring, but I’m hoping it’s a spark that we need. Obviously T.J. Hockenson Jersey , this team can definitely use a spark. I hope they give him the ball many, many times. I had to tackle him, so good luck to the guys in Philly that got to tackle him.”The Jaguars pushed Bortles’ weekly media session to Friday in London, where he gets his first chance to talk about regaining the starting job for the second time in 14 months. Marrone also benched Bortles during the 2017 preseason, only to name him the starter nine days later.Fournette and the ground game was a big key to Bortles’ success last season, especially in the postseason.The Jags hope Hyde will have the same effect on him.“I believe in him, I always have,” team captain and defensive end Calais Campbell said. “He’s earned that right. I know as of late he hasn’t been playing as good as he could, but earlier this year he was playing some really good ball. I see it in him all the time.“He’s hot and cold like anybody else. Hopefully we can get him on a hot streak here and turn this corner. When he’s doing it well, it’s nice to watch and nice to see and he sparks the whole team; the defense feeds off it.”